Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Blubarb Pie

I love pie. I love, love, love pie. I have multiple cookbooks dedicated to pies. I love them all: sweet, savory, chocolatey, nutty...but my favorite are fruit pies. YES. That's the ticket.

When brother and I were growing up, we didn't have birthday cakes, we had birthday pies. His was chocolate and amazing, and mine was strawberry and even more amazing (in my opinion. Ben, you're welcome to disagree. But you'll be wrong.) My mom shared these birthday pie recipes with me, but I had to make this one first.

We grew up with rhubarb plants in our backyard, and it. was. the. best. We had rhubarb everything: cake, jam, ice cream, ice cream sauce (which I ate by the spoonful), and so many pies! I can hardly ever find rhubarb in the stores down here, so when I do, I go a little nuts. 3 pounds later and no plans, I decided I needed to make a pie. But strawberry rhubarb is overdone (and I had no strawberries), so blueberry rhubarb it is!

the great thing about pie is it's hard to mess up. If you can make or buy a decent pastry crust, you're in good shape. This guy is super easy, with fresh rhubarb and blueberries, sugar, and vanilla. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.



Blueberry Rhubarb Pie

2 pie crusts
1 c diced rhubarb
1 c fresh blueberries
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay out one pie crust in the bottom of a pie tin. In a bowl, mix together rhubarb, blueberries, sugar, one egg, vanilla, and flour. Pour into pie crust. Roll out second crust on top and pinch edges to seal. Cut vents in top of crust. Separate one egg and brush egg white on top of crust. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower oven to 350 and bake for 35-45 minutes, until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Sprinkle with decorative sugar.

Enjoy!

xo
l

No comments:

Post a Comment