Sunday, October 6, 2013

Caramel Cake!

WOW. I'm the worst. Sorry it's been so long. Work picked up, and for a few weeks there, I forgot how to balance work and play. But I'm back, and hopefully I'll do better! My sincerest apologies go out to the two people who actually check this blog and called me out on not posting. I love you both.

So I mark my lackluster triumphant return with this killer Butter Caramel Cake. It's sinful. It's decadent. It's probably not healthy to eat more than one piece per year. But man, is it worth every bite. It should be a special occasion cake, a cake reserved for celebration--but the day I made it, I had no good reason. It's a labor of love, and there are few things I love more than baking. So why not just celebrate that in itself?

Fine, I give up. We all know I just really wanted a piece. Or three. Make it whenever you feel like it; waiting for a special occasion just guarantees today won't be special.


Side note: you'll notice my caramel came out a little grainy. It's my own fault; after about 25 minutes of stirring I just got so excited that I rushed the process. Good thing I was just making it for myself. To avoid this, be sure to stir constantly, keep the heat low, and don't scrape the sides of the pan after cooking. Patience has never been a virtue I possess!

Butter Caramel Cake

For the cake:
1 c salted butter
2 c sugar
4 eggs
3 c flour
1 c buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

For the frosting:
4 c sugar
2 c buttermilk
1 c shortening
1 c salted butter
2 tsp baking soda


To make the cakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 3-9inch round baking pans.  Cream butter until fluffy; add sugar and cream until completely blended, about 8-10 minutes. Add one egg at a time, blending completely between each. Alternately add flour and buttermilk until all combined; add vanilla and mix well. Divide batter equally between 3 pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until set. Allow to cool completely on cooling racks.

To make the frosting: Put all ingredients in a large cast iron or nonstick pot (at least 4 quarts--it expands!) Stir continuously until the caramel reaches 240 degrees. Remove from heat and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Pour into another bowl; do not scrape the sides of the cooking pot!

To assemble: Put one cake down. Smother with caramel. Put another cake on top. Smother with caramel. Put the third cake on top: smother with caramel, and frost sides.

xo
l



1 comment:

  1. WOW. Just... WOW. Triumphant return, indeed!! I have GOT to find out if my oven works or not.

    ReplyDelete