Sunday, July 21, 2013

Hot Days, Cool...Salads?

We're in the middle of a pretty nasty heatwave. I can't complain, we've had worse. But a heat index in the 110-115 range is rough no matter how used to it you get. So Kirby gets lots of very short walks, my electric bill skyrockets, and I make a lot of salads that last a few days and taste delicious straight out of the fridge (no reheating required.)

This one features quinoa, fruit, nuts, a little cheese for creaminess, and a maple vinaigrette. It's exactly what I need on a day like this...well, that and an ice bath.

And on a personal note: yesterday was my last wedding of the summer! I have 5 whole weeks of freedom (from weddings) before the fall season begins. God bless August.

Quinoa & Cranberry Salad

  • 1 c uncooked quinoa
  • 1 granny smith apple
  • 2/3 c dried fruit (I like cherries and cranberries, today I included apricots)
  • 1/4 c chopped pecans
  • 1/3 c goat cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
  • 2 Tbsp neutral oil
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 5 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Cook the quinoa according to the package's instructions. Let cool completely. Meanwhile, dice the apple and dried fruit. Stir the fruit, pecans, and half of the cheese into the quinoa. 

In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vinegar, and syrup until blended. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and stir to combine. Chill. Before serving, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

xo
l

No comments:

Post a Comment