Thursday, July 25, 2013

I Lava These Cakes

I have a confession to make: I am not a huge fan of chocolate. I know the face you're making, I get it whenever I tell people this. It's just not my thing. I prefer a fruity snack. When I do have chocolate, it's usually got something else going on: a fruit, salt, or crunch component to shake it up.


But then my friend Carman sent me this recipe for molten chocolate cakes, and I knew I had to try them. You see, these little lovelies can be frozen and then baked off one by one, whenever you need one. How fantastic is that? And with the addition of a handful of berries, I've got my fruity/chocolate fix.


By the way, she got this recipe from a book called "Lunch In Paris: A Love Story with Recipes" by Elizabeth Bard. I haven't read it yet but she said it was amazing, so check it out if you can find it!

And with this, I'm headed out on vacation for a week! Up to the north woods, so no internet or blogging for me...but plenty of delicious cabin food. (Cabin food largely consists of various meats, cereal, ice cream, and carbs. What's not to love?) See you all in a week!



Molten Chocolate Cakes

Makes 6

  • 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 5 oz. 70% cocoa chocolate (the higher quality, the better.)
  • good pinch of coarse sea salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 Tbsp flour
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Add sea salt and stir until combined.

Meanwhile, beat together eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until light and a little foamy. Quickly whisk in the chocolate mixture. Add flour and stir until just combined. Divide evenly between six foil* cupcake liners. Bake 6-8 minutes, depending on your oven (6-7 minutes is a thin shell and lots of gooey center; longer gives a thicker shell and a more solid center.)

Freeze these bad boys right in the foil liners to enjoy them later. To prepare from frozen, allow the cake to thaw for 10 minutes, then bake at 450 degrees for 15-17 minutes.

*Note: Only use foil liners for these cakes. Paper liners stick to the cake and are difficult to remove after baking.

xo
l

1 comment:

  1. With school starting I can envision a day when I would like to have these in my freezer!!!

    ReplyDelete