Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Best Corn You'll Ever Eat

I finally had a day off, and decided to head west and see what there was to see. It turned out to be a pretty great day, despite some nasty heat; a friend and I had an amazing lunch at the Wine Kitchen, went to one of the most fascinating stores I've seen in a while (DMVers, head to Old Lucketts Store as soon as you can!), and had a killer homemade peach jam pop tart to top it off. On the way home I swung by a farm stand and picked up some sweet corn.
It's as good as it looks.   

My sister (at heart) Katie texted me yesterday and reminded me about a dish I love, but haven't made yet this summer. I swear I  could eat a giant bowl of this without stopping. Corn is amazing, no?  The best part is you really don't need to do much to make it a  pretty, delicious, crowd-pleasing dish. Or take a play from my book  and make enough for a crowd but eat it all yourself, glycemic index  be damned.

Sweet Corn with Grape Tomatoes


4 ears sweet corn
1 c grape tomatoes, halved
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper

Cook your corn however you like best--I like it grilled, but you can boil, or even microwave if you're in a hurry! Allow the corn to cool enough that you can hold it. Cut the corn off each cob. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over high heat. Add garlic and cook for a few seconds. Add the corn (still over high heat) and stir to combine. When corn is hot again, add the tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes until tomatoes are hot but still intact. Salt and pepper to taste.

Awesome tip: Use a bundt pan to cut the corn off the cob. Place the end of the cob in the hole in the center, and hold the top with one hand while cutting with the other. The corn will fall into the pan and the ear stays in place while you cut!



xo
l

1 comment:

  1. "glycemic index be damned" - yet another red flag that we're so obviously siblings! haha!

    ReplyDelete