Friday, July 19, 2013

Tasso Cheddar Biscuits

Yep. This happened.


My sister Katie and I spent a long weekend in New Orleans this spring--what I wouldn't do to relive those four days every weekend. We ate our way through an impressive city, and when we thought we couldn't eat another bite...nope, that never happened, we never thought we couldn't eat more. This is why we're sisters. Also because we live on opposite coasts but brought the same toothbrush and toothpaste.

This was nothing short of a miracle

We had some incredible food that weekend: an arugula salad topped with fried chicken, green olives, and lemon vinaigrette that blew my mind; the best strawberry shortcake in the world; and approximately 90% of the menu at what might be my favorite restaurant, Sylvain. But the one thing I wrote down to try to make myself was a tasso ham and cheddar biscuit at Commander's Palace.

So now it's 11:30pm, and I'm sitting up listening to my brother's awesome new mix (Brother is the king of all mixes), making tasso cheddar biscuits. These are pretty darn good. I'm sure I'll keep playing with the recipe until they're closer to those of Commander's Palace, but these will certainly do in the meantime (in other words, they're bangin' and I've already had three.)


Tasso Ham & Cheddar Biscuits

  • 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 5 Tbsp butter
  • 1 c milk
  • 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 c finely diced tasso ham or pancetta



Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Sift together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the milk, ham, and cheese. Stir to combine. Drop batter onto greased baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Do they need butter? No. Should you put some on anyway? Yes.
xo
l

No comments:

Post a Comment