Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Cake Therapy

I'm glad you all found your way over here. There's not a lot you need to know about me: I work in the food & beverage/events industry, I have the cutest dog in the world, and perhaps most importantly, I am a happy cook and a stress baker.

What does this mean? Simple: When I'm happy, I love to cook. It makes me even happier. I get to be creative and make things up and play loud music and dance around the kitchen, and then, I GET TO EAT! It's a win/win.

When I'm stressed, I love to bake. I love measuring everything out just so and following each recipe just so and letting them bake for just the right amount of time, and I know without fail that if I follow the instructions (or the basic chemical laws of baking), I will succeed. It's the ultimate stress relief.


So between these two things, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. And over the years, I've tried to share the wealth of awesome recipes I've collected, but maybe there's a more economical way to do that: the internets!

So without further ado, I give you my mom's chocolate cake, with a little makeover alternative:



Chocolate Cake (with Chocolate Chip Filling)




For the Cake:
1 3/4 c flour
2 c sugar
3/4 c cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 c. boiling water (trust me!)

combine all dry ingredients. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Stir in boiling water (the batter will be very thin.)

Want a regular cake? Pour that warm chocolatey batter into a 9x13 pan. Want to gussy it up and make people think you're a cake maven? divide it between two round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until a knife comes out clean. (Bake a little less for round pans--I think I do about 30 minutes.)

Let the cake cool completely before frosting!

For the Frosting:
6 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 c cocoa powder (less for lighter flavor, or up to 3/4 c for dark chocolate!)
2 2/3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the butter until smooth. Add your desired amount of cocoa powder and blend. Slowly add milk and powdered sugar, alternating between the two until blended. Mix in vanilla. Lick beater (it's part of the recipe, I swear.)

Totally delicous and time-sensitive way: Lather that frosting all over that 9x13 cake. Await compliments.

Cake Maven Way: Even out your two round cakes. On top of the first cake, spread a thick layer of frosting (I like to make a batch of vanilla for this), and some chocolate chips. Place the second cake on top. Frost the entire thing with the chocolate frosting you already made.

Enjoy!

xo
l

5 comments:

  1. MOM'S CAKE!!!! I'm making this next week! If I can find chocolate chips, haven't seen them in the co-op yet. I'm SO GLAD you're writing finally! Also, BANGIN' DESIGN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brother! Up next is your ice cream, I can't wait!

      (by the way, you can totally make this without chocolate chips--I often do. they're just an added layer of delicious if you can find some.)

      Delete
    2. I can't find chocolate chips, but maybe I can improvise. :)

      Delete
    3. What about:
      more frosting
      jam/preserves
      fresh fruit/berries
      salted nuts

      any of those strike your fancy? I'm all for a little non-chocolate in a chocolate cake!

      Delete
  2. Makes me want to whip one up just for ME!

    ReplyDelete